Friday 24 October 2014

Say hi

A work colleague sent me a link with an ironic post about networking the other day. Can't find it anymore... But it was basically taking the piss about what networking events are often about (boring conversations...). Networking might well be a hollow buzzword, but I certainly think it can be fun. So, I set myself the objective to meet at least one new person every time I go to a networking event. Very often I go with friends/colleagues, and it's of course very easy then to stay within your group.

Last Wednesday, Sadler's Wells - London's Dance House - was hosting a showcase event. The theatre is close to work and I've been to shows there a number of times and we also hosted a committee meeting there while our offices were being refurbished. When I left the office after a long-ish day, I already started to regret my new resolution... I didn't feel like socializing but decided to go anyway. And had a very nice evening!

The venue is great - the theatre massive and the canapes were delicious! AND I met not one but three people! The first woman I got chatting to happened to be from Melbourne, so I got excited talking about my holiday. When her friend (also Aussie) showed up, I decided to leave them to catch up (I was actually quite proud of leaving the conversation - I often get 'stuck' with people, as I don't know how to move on...). I then went up to a couple of guys and ended up talking to one of them for the rest of the evening which was very nice. The three glasses of cava might have helped - they certainly made me feel quite tipsy...

I also got excited about the Nails Inc nail polish!
And a CD - not a bad goody bag :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment