Saturday 10 September 2016

envy is ugly

Envy is a very ugly feeling. I occasionally let the envy monster in but I'd like to think that I don't act on it, that I am self-aware and notice the feeling and not let it rule my behaviour. Amongst friends, envy is an absolute no go for me and I don't accept excuses. Yes, envy is human and it happens but I don't want friends who act on it. No matter what the circumstances.

As timing is everything, I came home to find this article in my inbox: 
"...Conversely we hate discomfort, especially the kind that challenges our own preferences, assumptions, and beliefs. When it shows up, we often attack or avoid..."

"...
-  Do you avoid being around people who do not think like you?
- Are you slow to let go beliefs or ideas that no longer serve you?
- Do you struggle to say "I don't know"?
- Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?
- Are you easily angered by criticism, even when it's helpful?
- Do you see anyone who disagrees with your worldview as wrong, bad, or evil?
..."

To me that is a key message in coaching: being conscious of all of the above, and leaving your comfort zone. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need to abandon your beliefs and adopt somebody else's. But how about we take a moment to consider whether there is another way to see things that might help you to progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment