Sunday 11 September 2016

When things go according to plan...not

When I moved to Rosenheim, I joined a number of meet ups. Unfortunately, other than the start up group and one meditation group (which turned out to be a bit too weird for my taste), they are all in Munich. And spending 23EUR on a train ticket, plus the time to get there plus going there after work, meant that I never attended any of them.

That was meant to change this weekend: there is an international girls group - women who are either from abroad living in Munich or Germans who lived abroad and are now back. Meet up was at the Eisbachwelle in the English Garden, where the cool dude surf, and the less cool people watch them. Planned was a walk along the river and then coffee.

After an extensive internal debate, I felt rather virtuous for deciding to walk to the station instead of taking the car (partly, cause I wasn't sure whether I could get a parking slot at the station at that time of day...). Lucky for me, I arrived 15 minutes before the train was due which meant I was one of the first people to find out that there were no trains because of an emergency something or other (rumour had it that it was because a person on the track). Thus, I was one of the first people on the replacement bus and got a seat. Replacing a whole train with ONE bus is of course a bit tricky. The bus was absolutely packed with lots of people standing, no air con on a very hot day. And the majority of passengers didn't even get on the bus. 

The bus then took forever to get to Grafing, along some winding roads. Another 15 minute wait for the S Bahn and another 10 minutes on the bus. And of course I didn't make it in time. In a way I was glad I was half an hour late rather than having missed the group by just 5 minutes. 

After watching the surfer dudes, I went to the Haus der Kunst - one of the art museums I hadn't yet been to. 12EUR entry and - unless I missed something - not very much to see. They had a Michael Buthe exhibition on, which had some interesting pieces as well as the installation in the large entrance hall. But compared to the amount of stuff that is on display at the Tate in London for example, this was a joke. And the Tate is free to go into, too.

I was done in less than an hour and decided to go into town, searching for a pair of really cool shoes I had spotted on the H&M website. But of course, none of the branches I went to, had them in store... So, I bought a different pair. And some underwear. Having spent the 23EUR on the train ticket, it seemed to make sense to make the trip to the city worthwhile and spend even more money.

Here comes the amazing revelation of the day: I am pretty sure that something like this would have pissed me off quite badly in a 'previous life'. While I wasn't best pleased about how the day turned out, I felt rather untouched by it all. It reminds me of one of the first lessons I heard from the wonderful Buddhist nun at the meditation class in London: about how when your car breaks down, getting upset about it, won't change the fact that it broke down.

the surfer dudes - they even have a sofa!
I loved the monitor people!

No comments:

Post a Comment