Monday 12 December 2016

calm the f&ck down!

I can be such a drama queen... Not only is this rather unpleasant for my environment, worst of all, once in drama queen mode, I am not even aware myself that I am having one of my moments.

What threw me in yesterday's exercise when I came out with: "I am allowed to be myself."
Immediately,  my old script materialized. A constant repeat of my self doubts, of feeling inadequate, not good enough. And yes, these self-doubts still exist sometimes.
But with a bit of reflection and putting that one sentence into the context of that particular exercise, I think I was actually trying to send myself a different message. Which got lost or mixed up in some other noise.

The topic of the exercise was my anger. Getting angry at the little things. With a physical reaction of increased pulse etc. It's an issue that I'm already handling much better than I used to. The question was what the positive intent behind the anger might be. Which I found tricky to get to the bottom to. Until I came up with: "I am allowed to be myself." And instead of really understanding that and taking it on board, I slipped into other mental state and repeated another film in my head.

Cause what I really was telling myself that it is ok to be me WITH all that anger, too. And also the self-doubt. And that I do not have to be good and perfect (not that I ever am perfect anyway... 😉)  and nice all the time. Instead of embracing the offer the Rumpelstiltskin - that had meanwhile turned into one of the seven dwarfs - made me, I started doing the exact opposite of beating myself up over being myself.

You've got to laugh really. The solutions I came up with for myself were these two:
- don't take everything - including myself - so seriously
- and do take yourself and your needs seriously

Maybe I should have simply listened to the advice to let all of this sink in over the next 24 hours, rather than dwelling on it, there and then.
Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment