Monday 27 January 2014

£1.50/metre

I would have thought that London - just like any other big city - would have a wide range of fabric shops all over the place. Googling the topic though didn't help much. There is of course John Lewis and (even more expensive) Liberty but quite frankly the haberdashery shop in the smallish town near where I grew up seems to have more fabrics on offer than John Lewis! Or maybe I am misremembering this...

Anyhow, as Shepherds Bush (which gets praised by bloggers; check out Goldhawk Road) is at the other end of town for me, I decided to check out Walthamstow Market on Saturday. I was rather annoyed though when TFL was directing me to go all the way to central London (Green Park) to then take the Victoria Line to the North-East. There surely must be a quicker way to get there from where I live.

But it was all worth it! I found some nice patterned, flowy fabric for my sewing class, and also bought some cute fabrics for more cushion covers for practicing purposes. Last but not least, I also got some stretchy fabrics, which I will hopefully - one day - be able to turn into skirts. That's the plan anyway.

Besides, I had a lovely day with T and S. And as part of my ambitious plans, I will try to turn the colourful fabric that S bought into cushions (covers) for her. With hindsight, I wonder whether it's a bit early for me to accept orders. But on the other hand - what's the worst that can happen? :-)

I got very excited about what was on offer. And with prices starting at just £1.50 a metre, so many bargains can be made! I loved the shops that sell zips, buttons and other haberdashery stuff. I will definitely be back one day. Maybe, once I actually know how to sew basic stuff. Cause until then, there is a high risk of me just buying random fabric that won't ever turn into anything wearable/usable... (*looking at the stash of beads I bought for my jewellery making...*)

sewing class top fabric; cushion cover material
stretch fabric for some basic skirts

No comments:

Post a Comment