Sunday 26 January 2014

Inside Crumlin Road Gaol

The second day was started with a City Tour by bus which ended with a tour of Crumlin Road prison.
I think I've said this before, but I am finding it very hard to get my head round the Troubles and how this must have affected the people of the city. While I thought the prison was a very interesting place to visit, I wouldn't want to hold a social event there. It somehow doesn't seem right.

We got to see the cell for prisoners who had been sentenced to death, and the room where the hangings took place. I'm very glad that there is no capital punishment in this country anymore.

Bobby Sands mural; curbs painted in blue, white, red - you immediately knew which quarter you were in; peace wall


Government building on the Stormont Estate

No comments:

Post a Comment