Saturday 25 January 2014

Familiar strangers (on a train)

Time for some culture: thanks to a discount, we got some reduced tickets to see Laurence Fox in Strangers on a train. I'd never seen the film nor read the book, but two of my colleagues had seen the play earlier this month and had been raving about it!

I absolutely loved the stage set! I'm always amazed about how much you can do with just a small stage, recreating different settings and moods. Also loved the dresses :-)! The play is actually quite different from the storyline in the film (I googled it afterwards). If you've seen the film, the ending will come as quite a surprise. Well, it came as quite a surprise to me, too. And I was so pleased that I recognized Miranda Raison (from Spooks) who plays Anne, Guy's second wife.

It's been a long and tiring week, so I have to admit that towards the end of the first half, I was struggling to stay awake... I did enjoy the play, partly as it's always nice to go and do something different and I don't go to the theatre very often. On the other hand, I didn't find the story very believable and the ending didn't make much sense to me. I loved Bruno and how his character changes but I wasn't all that keen on Guy/Laurence Fox. And I found Bruno's mother and Guy's first wife quite annoying which had a lot to do with their voices and American accents.

Jack Huston who normally plays Bruno was indisposed. I can't remember the name of the actor who took on the role for that night, but I thought he did a very good job. How do understudies prepare for this? It was also lovely how the rest of the cast acknowledged him at the end of the play.


No comments:

Post a Comment