Friday 6 January 2017

7 days - the details

Day 1: T arrives
And - in addition to T arriving, of course - here comes THE highlight of the day: I went to pick her up at the airport by car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, this has been the longest drive I dared in a while. In the dark. And about half way there, I urgently needed the toilet... Except for a little hiccup with finding parking (which included me driving to the very end, and involuntarily having to exit the car park, as well as momentarily losing my ticket), I am very proud to say that we arrived safely back in Rosenheim. Admittedly, I did ask myself why on earth I was torturing myself in this way all the way there. With T in the car, and chatting away, it all seemed a lot easier. Which doesn't really make sense, cause I must have been much less focused...

Day 2: T's first hike
After a leisurely breakfast at Dinzler's, we went for a hike up to the Frasdorfer Hütte, also a first for me. It's an easy enough hike and on the way up, we warmed up quickly despite frosty temperatures. On the way down, it felt a lot colder though. I felt that the views aren't as spectacular as some of the others I've enjoyed on my many (5??) hikes in the area so far but with the blue and cloudless sky, it was still a good experience.
And we had enough time for coffee and cake at the Kaffä, and a tour of Rosenheim before getting sushi.

Day 3: MY BIRTHDAY!
Ok, I wasn't really excited about my birthday... I am not a birthday person, and getting closer to 40 isn't too exciting to me either...
In the morning we went to Wasserburg and had to realize that the train station is a 45 minute walk from the city centre. For once I under-researched a trip... Fortunately, the weather was ok, and it was a pleasant enough walk into town, where we had Vietnamese lunch before heading back to the station by bus. And what a lucky coincidence that was! The bus only runs every hour, and thanks to my shit phone, I wasn't able to call a taxi. But miraculously, we got the bus, and thus got to the airport on time to pick up A.
Back in Rosenheim, we had dinner at the Mail Keller. Who didn't have my reservation and also offered a reduced NYE menu, which they hadn't mentioned on the website... But the food was good, even if service was a bit slow.
We then proceeded to watch the fireworks in my street. And once again, my neighbours did not disappoint and T and A admired the spectacle that lasted 30 minutes. Back in the warmth, I introduced them to the typical German Bleigießen, where you melt a bit of lead over a candle and pour it into water. Whatever the result predicts what the new year will be like. Of course, all our futures look bright and rosy!

Day 4: the Bavarian sea
The Chiemsee is a beautiful photographic object, even on not so nice days, but that day was probably the most beautiful I've seen it so far. 💖

Day 5: the hills are alive in Salzburg
Daytrip to Salzburg and despite having been a few times, there is still more to discover, despite my earlier complaints about it being so disappointingly small... Anyhow, this time we took the funicular up the hill to visit the Fortress Hohensalzburg, including an audiotour and the museums, as well as surprisingly good and affordable Goulash and a funny looking sausage.
Back in town, we enjoyed some Austrian cakes before heading back to Rosenheim for lots of meat at my local Greek restaurant.
The day ended with lots of snow... I was very relieved that I managed the small drive from the station back to my place without much sliding across the roads at the average speed of ~20km/h...

Day 6: der Berg ruft
Another leisurely breakfast, this time at Café Innig. Interestingly, I always order the Munich breakfast despite their wide choice.... By midday the initial fog had at least lifted in Rosenheim, so we made our way to Aschau to take the cable car up the Kampenwand. And it was so worth it! Stunning views, snow, blue sky. The photos don't even do it justice!
Back in Rosenheim, we did a tour of the town centre (never takes long...), where I discovered that Alfons Schuhbeck sells (amongst many other spices) a 'sex spice'. Might be worth investing in...👯
After a drink at Arte & Vino, we had our final Bavarian dinner at Duschlbräu. Their schnitzel is so yummy. And so big. I feel I should go on a diet for the next month...

Day 7: Munich and goodbyes
The snow continued to fall, and we thus decided to skip the 3 hour walking tour and did our own small Munich tour instead. Including the Frauenkirche, the Glockenspiel at the Marienplatz, the Viktualienmarkt, a bit of shopping, watching the crazies surfing at the Eisbachwelle and enjoying some tea and cake at the Victorian House. A surprisingly nice and authentic place! I'll definitely be back to enjoy a scone or some fish 'n chips there!
And then it was time to get to the airport. The snowfall got heavier and heavier, but fortunately, the flights was only delayed by about half an hour in the end. And I also got back home safely.

A fun-packed week.
A reminder of friendship.
And a reminder how beautiful this place is!

No comments:

Post a Comment