Thursday 5 January 2017

language chameleon

I've written about this previously. Subconsciously, I adapt the way I speak to whoever I speak with. To a certain extent at least. I recall visiting my sister in the UK when I was 16 or so. One of her friends was American, and I started using 'like' a lot... When I spent quite a lot of time with my Aussie friends, I started mimicking their accent to the extent that others thought I was Australian or had at least learned English in Oz.

Anyway, since meeting J from my school days, it seems that I have fallen into my home local dialect again. When I met up with B, another school friend, he commented how I sounded much more Hessian than 'normal' - a bit unusual, given I now live in Bavaria. Only then did I start hearing it myself (Gosh, I should maybe start to pay attention to what I actually say! Bad enough, that I don't listen to others...). Not a bad thing at all, as I do like that accent - and let's face it: I'll never learn Bavarian...

No comments:

Post a Comment