Wednesday 22 March 2017

counting pennies

A friend of mine is a wizard when it come to grocery shopping: he knows all the prices by heart. Say, you want to know how much a a loaf of bread costs, a litre of milk or pasta. He'll be able to tell you.
I on the other hand have no clue whatsoever. I honestly don't even have a vague idea how much a litre of milk costs. Admittedly, I'd think a fiver might be a little expensive...

Grocery prices are on the of the things I have a non-existent memory for. My logic is: I will buy the pasta anyway, so why would I need to get upset that the price has increased by x% since last month? I do compare the prices of what is on offer, partly cause it helps my decision making.

The other day, I saw that green asparagus were on offer at Netto for €2.99 (here's the irony: I don't care about prices but for some reason I enjoy looking at the supermarket leaflets that most people trhwo into the bin immediately...). In my attempt to eat more healthily, I got some. By coincidence, I saw some at Rewe, too - which were €4.99 - now that is a price difference even I noticed! And it did make me wonder whether it'd be worth comparing prices after all.
I of course quickly discarded that idea... too much effort...

No comments:

Post a Comment