Wednesday 15 February 2012

Junior Doctors

Series 2 of Junior Doctors started a few weeks ago. While the first series had been filmed in Newcastle, the second series is being (was) filmed at Chelsea and Westminster hospital in London. I hadn't watched any of the second series, but today I found out that someone I know also works at that hospital (as a junior doctor, as it happens). So, when he told me that he was in some of the shots and knows the whole lot, I of course had to watch it!

Thanks to BBC iplayer you can of course catch up on all previous episodes, so that was my evening's entertainment sorted!

Having watched it, here are my thoughts:
Firstly, I do hope that I (or anyone I know) won't have to go to hospital during the first week of August. Ever. That's when the junior doctors all start. While I fully appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere, I would really rather like to avoid being treated by someone who has just left university... According to their own admissions, they felt like "fake" doctors. And who can blame them: one day you are still studying, the next day, you're thrown in at the deep end!

Secondly, I don't think I could do the job. Not least as I haven't been to medical school (this does seem like a compulsory element)!

In all seriousness though, I don't think I could cope with the level of responsibility that comes with it. Constantly being under stress, never knowing what the day will throw at you. Having to make - sometimes life-saving - decisions in an instant. Getting attached (or trying not to) to some patients, and really not getting on with others. Not for me. So, I really do take my hat off to them.

Lastly, in comparison to the importance of their jobs, my own job seems really just a bit silly. And it's rather shameful how much stress I often create for myself. Note to myself: I should try more often to put things (in general) into perspective. And chill a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment