Saturday 18 February 2012

Sport ist Mord*

I've never liked sport**. I quite frankly detested the PA lessons at school (with swimming being the worst of all evil). This is quite possibly linked to the fact that I am just not a sporty person. And the fact that I am scared of balls - I instinctively close my eyes when a ball comes in my direction. Which generally doesn't help, as the probability of getting hit and hurt by said ball, increases quite a bit.

All the same, I have actually been a gym member on and off for the last 12 years. Vanity was the motivator at first, and recently the fear of dying of a heart attack before I turn 40***, has also started to play a role.

The flat I currently live in comes with a small gym, which is literally a 3 minute walk from the flat. [to avoid any misunderstanding: this is not my personal gym, but available to all residents in the apartment block] And I somehow still manage to find millions of excuses of why I can't possibly go. Quite disgraceful really. The irony is, that once I am there and especially once I've finished the workout (despite all of the above), I actually feel really good! Shouldn't that alone be an incentive to go more regularly?****

If you have any advice on how I can successfully motivate myself, please get in touch!


*Sport is murder
** Cycling is the only exception to the rule - but only if I don't have to cyle uphill
*** In addition to my aggression problem mentioned in the commuter's diary, I also have a family history of increased cholesterol level and heart problems.
**** Jointly with improving my chances of having a long and healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment