Monday 27 February 2012

The postman always rings twice

Not today though: my two amazon orders were delivered in one big package.
And this is what I got:

This is the next book I am reading for our little German bookclub. The bookclub was born about a year ago. We made the huge mistake (?) of starting with an exceptionally good book: The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon. Everything that followed was simply disappointing by comparison. Some of them were even just disappointing in their own right. I can't even pick the worst! I do wonder how Herta Müller managed to win the Nobel Prize in Literature... But then, what do I know?!




I've developed a fear of flying over the past 6 years or so. I have no idea what triggered it. I basically am scared of dying and can manage to make myself panic whenever there is a turbulence. It's a horrible feeling. I rationally know that flying is much safer than driving for example but my brain doesn't seem to function rationally when I am on a plane.
So, I came across this CD and thought I'll give it a try. 


I'll let you know how I get on with it.




I've recently been having problems going to sleep. Besides, I've met a few people at the meditation class who had experiences with hypnotherapy. I thought this CD would be an interesting experiment: "it combines skilled hypnotherapy techniques with state-of-the-art digital recording technology to guide you safely into a deep sleep every time...Track 2 includes 'Lucid dreams for problem solving', which will not only guide you into a deep sleep but will help you to find solutions to any problems through your dreams." I'm sceptical about the latter - but who knows!



Linked to my fear of flying is my fear of dying. Quite some year ago, I read one of Yalom's novels and really liked it. In "Staring At The Sun: Being at peace with your own mortality: Overcoming the Terror of Death" Yalom 'explores how the knowledge of our own mortality affects the unconscious mind of every human being.'

A bit of a self-help package this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment