Sunday 5 February 2012

Physiology

I went to the gym this morning. Which is by the way, another item on my resolutions list. Probably the one that is going least well so far.

So, I was cycling away, while listening to Skunk Anansie and my thought were drifting. I usually do the "quick start" thing, where I manually decide at what resistance level and how long I cycle for. I decided to "mix it up" a little though, and went for the fat burning programme*.

For that to work, I had to continuously place my hands on the sensors next to the seat, which were measuring my pulse. The interesting thing was that my pulse significantly increased when I thought of one particular work related issue. I guess this isn't generally surprising. I guess it surprised me in as much as I didn't feel my pulse increasing - but I noticed it on the pulse sensor. So, it basically affected me, without me being consciously aware just how much it affected me (for example in relation to other issues I thought about, that didn't have any impact on my pulse).


*Given that I have a naturally high pulse, this was rather pointless, as the resistance level stayed the same throughout the 30 minutes. Based on my pulse, the machine thought I was burning fat already at the lowest level...

No comments:

Post a Comment