Friday 24 February 2012

Much more often

As a child, my Mum would take my sister, my brother and me to the library every week. I loved reading and would read several books a week. The obsessive reading continued into my early teens, when I raided the school library.

I don't actually remember, when this stopped. Well, it never stopped altogether, but the number of books I am reading has decreased significantly. Which really is a shame, as I still love reading just as much as I did when I was a child. I completely immerse myself in the story. It feels as if I am part of it, as if I personally know all the characters (whose names I can never remember though. I generally have a good memory, but when it comes to character names in books as well as films, I'm absolutely rubbish...). The moment I put down a book, there is always a little pang of disappointment about having to leave this fictional world.*

So, another one of my New Year's resolutions is to read at least one book a month. February's pick was The Understudy by David Nicholls. I absolutely LOVED his book One Day (while the movie is allright, I thought the book was wayyyyyyyy better), so I thought I'll give this one a try. The book is about Stephen, an unsuccessful actor, divorced with a young daughter. He works as the understudy for Josh - a successful, famous young actor, who can be as charming as pretentious and obnoxious. Stephen meets Nora, Josh's wife, and falls in love.
For the rest, you will have to read the book - or reviews.

I liked it. Maybe not as much as One Day - but then I LOVED One Day! I think it's funny, entertaining and while it's also a little predictable, I still really enjoyed it and didn't want to put it down.


*By the way, I don't usually read thrillers or crime stories - if I did, this would probably be a bit of a weird statement to make

No comments:

Post a Comment