Tuesday 5 June 2012

Diamond Jubilee weekend

I somehow feel that I should at least mention that the Queen celebrated her Diamond Jubilee this weekend. And we all - figuratively - cheered about the additional bank holiday we got out of it*. And thousands literally cheered her on, waiting for hours in the rain for her to make an appearance - on the royal barge on the Thames, on the Mall or the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

I did watch a few minutes on TV on Sunday and felt a little sorry for the Queen and Prince Philip. Standing around on the barge, waving. And I thought: why don't you just sit down? You are the Queen! And poor Prince Philip ended up in hospital with a bladder infection.

I recently found an essay I had to write in school about the Royal Family. My conclusion at the time seemed to be that the huge amount of taxpayers' money spent on them, was all worthwhile as it generated income through tourism and kept people entertained thanks to all the gossip pages in the numerous magazine.


*except for teachers - as it happens to be half-term anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment