Saturday 30 June 2012

The one minute manager

My manager recently gave me a copy of The one minute manager as a present. The bestseller by Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson was first published in 1983 and apparently multi-million copies have been sold since. It promises to 'increase productivity, profits and your own prosperity'.

The principles are easy and straightforward:
1) Set one minute goals - making it clear what you expect from your employee
2) Do one minute praisings - when goals have been achieved
3) Do one minute reprimands - when goals have not been achieved 

The above is of course explained in more detail and illustrated with examples.It all sounds quite logical. And American. As part of step 2 and 3, it is recommended for the manager to touch the employee (on his arm for example). I somehow think that touching people, even if only their arm, would be regarded as inappropriate in certain cultures/offices. And there are people who aren't very touchy-feely, and if you don't feel comfortable doing something, it won't come across as genuine and therefore wouldn't work.

There are certainly aspects, that I would like to try out. But I reserve my judgement on its guaranteed success. For one, I think that some people are just not made for certain jobs. No matter how much time you spend on regular clear goal setting, praise and reprimands, some people will not be able to meet the goals. And an increasing number of reprimands will only be demotivating. Equally, praise alone isn't (enough) motivation for some. Secondly, I think the approach works better at a middle management rather than a junior level.

Have also had a quick read of the reviews on amazon. Overall 4 out of 5 stars. But the 1 star reviews also make an interesting read.

In any case, I appreciate my manager's gesture (who by the way hasn't yet read the book himself, but it was recommended to him). 

The One Minute Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment