Tuesday 5 June 2012

Tastecard - bring on the discount

For the second year running, I got myself the tastecard. Regular annual membership costs £79.95 - but I only paid £29.95. Discount codes are regularly available, so I would recommend looking or waiting around a little. The principle is easy: restaurants which are part of the tastecard offer deals such as 50% of the food bill or 2 for 1 deals. I believe it originally started off in London but now includes restaurants all over the UK.

On the website you can search by area/postcode/cuisine/type of offer. Always make sure you check the conditions: most places don't accept the card on weekends or bank holidays. While most cards are valid for only two diners, some can be used on groups. You usually also have to make a reservation over the phone and have to mention that you wish to use your tastecard. This last bit is what I like least. A) you can't be that spontaneous and b) I always suspect that I will get a slightly worse service when the staff know that I will only pay half the price....

The other week, I used the tastecard at La Tasca, Canary Wharf. La Tasca is a Spanish tapas chain restaurant. And comes with the advantage that you can just show up and don't have to book in advance. The branch in Canary Wharf is located just a couple of minutes from West India Quay station (and about 5 minutes from Canary Wharf). We sat outside with views on the Quay. The tastecard only applies to the 'tapas to share' section of the menu. We chose:
  • A festival of mushrooms (I didn't try these as I don't like mushrooms)
  • Calamares - one of my favourite tapas, partly as I like anything battered and fried!
  • Pescado Blanco frito - exception to the above rule: not only did they come late, they were also soggy rather than crispy
  • Langostinos - next time I will opt for one of the other prawn dishes - I don't like having to remove the shell and head myself. And there was no lemon water to clean the fingers either
  • Patatas Bravas - a classic must-have with a nicely spiced tomatoe sauce
  • Spanish style lemon chicken and vegetables - all right but nothing special

Verdict: I'd come back with the tastecard. Service is friendly, food is all right, but nothing exceptional. But then again at those prices (even without the card), you wouldn't expect star quality food either. Or would you?
Saving for dinner for two: ~£12

No comments:

Post a Comment