Tuesday 12 June 2012

Summer (???) event

The Southbank Centre was hosting their summer event tonight in the Weston Roof Pavilion on the 6th floor. Weather was unfortunately not very summery at all - but then people were grateful it wasn't raining (after the downpours of the last few days - and yes, the drought is officially still ongoing...). The Southbank Centre - so I learned today - is the largest centre for the arts in Europe and is spread over a 21 acres (!).

The Weston Roof Pavilion comes with a balcony with views of the London Eye and Big Ben. It also has an outside area, where the barbecue was placed tonight. One level below is another huge balcony overlooking the Thames. The building isn't the most exciting from the outside, but I was really impressed with the inside. I think it would be really good for an evening reception, maybe combined with a ride on the London Eye before.

Canapes were absolutely delicious and so were the mini burgers, sausages and potato salad. Pimms and wine was also being served. Tonight's entertainment was provided by a jazz band, a magician (amazing - I'd love to hire him for one of my events) and a young poet. The latter was a strange experience. He was really good with his words - but he was speaking rather fast. And I realized once again what a short attention span I have. I quite quickly zoned out.... And I was surprised about some of the sexual references he came out with - at such an event. And everyone was laughing their heads off. So much for the 'stuck up Brits'.


Views towards Embankment station

Udderbelly: the cow that lies on its back

No comments:

Post a Comment