Wednesday 6 June 2012

Frustration

I prefer direct communication. If you have a problem - tell me. If I have a problem - I will tell you. Unfortunately, this doesn't fit in very well with the English mentality. I fully appreciate, that there is a level of diplomacy required, especially when it comes to interactions in the work environment. But I don't like that I feel like constantly treading on egg shells, fearing that I might (unwillingly and unknowingly!!) upset or insult somebody. It has made me extremely cautious - to the point, where I am not sure whether I am getting my point across at all.

Somebody said to me the other day that some people need a 'soft-softy' management approach. Well, I fully appreciate that different people need different management styles (you see, my degree in business studies comes in handy here - in theory). But there is a fine line between being 'paternal' and understanding and one's kindness being taken advantage of. That's what I think at least.

At the end of the day, I guess my frustration lies in the fact, that I don't seem to be able to get what I want (to get done). But I am not giving up and will keep trying to find out what makes (different) people tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment