Thursday 7 June 2012

Embarrassing bodies

... is a show on Channel 4. People with a variety of health (in the widest sense) problems, are seen by a doctor. On TV. On the one hand, I think it's a good way to reach out to people and encourage them to go and see their GPs. The programme also includes general advice, symptoms people should look out for, how to do certain DIY health checks etc. On the other hand, I really don't get it why people agree to show their 'embarrassing bodies' on national television. Some of them have lived with their problems for years, sometimes decades. Instead of having a one to one with their GP, they decide to do so on television. Exposing their private bits in the process.

On second thought though, given the experiences I have had with a number of GPs in this country (and no, I wouldn't want to generalize), maybe they have as little trust in their local GP as me...

No comments:

Post a Comment