Sunday 27 October 2013

A litte bit of Australia in Shoreditch

A while back I walked past Salvation Jane (near Old Street tube) and thought to myself I should check it out. And of course, immediately forgot about it.... Today I eventually met some friends for lunch there.

From their website:
"The name Salvation Jane comes from a beautiful flowering plant that was brought to Australia in the 1800s by an English immigrant named Jane Patterson. The plant took hold and became an iconic Australian weed. It is extremely hardy and in drought times, is a source of food to grazing cows, hence the name Salvation Jane. In farming circles it is also referred to as Patterson’s Curse because if too much of the plant is eaten by certain livestock it can kill."

It's a relatively small place and very popular (we had to queue for a table).  A very nice and relaxed atmosphere, great coffee and a short but yummy brunch menu. Given how close it is to my office, I will definitely be back to try their dinner menu!


My Mocha - which looks misleadingly massive in the photo. I had the poached eggs on sourdough bread with extra fried haloumi and streaky bacon. Photo below shows the corn fritters with fresh spinach and slow roast tomatoes served w an avocado chilli lime salsa and crème fraiche and a poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment