Wednesday 30 October 2013

Eleven

I can't remember how I came across this book by the English comedian and novelist Mark Watson. I don't even know Mark's comedy stuff very well. I probably have seen him on one of the panel shows (Never Mind the Buzzcocks/Have I got news for you/Mock the week) he has appeared on, but other than that I wouldn't consider myself a fan. Whatever it was, I'm glad I bought the book! I really enjoyed it. Yes, it's an easy read - but I like easy reading.

Eleven tells the story of DJ Xavier Ireland (not his real name) and ten other people who are all somehow connected through Xavier's action. One of the things I liked was how he introduces new characters into the story, some of whom are just on the sideline and adds an after-sentence on what would happen in their futures. It's a bit like the 'And this is what happened after we stopped filming' bits after some movies.

Don't expect comedy though. A lot of it is actually rather sad. Scary how one little moment can change lives forever. And nothing you do can ever undo what ensues.

No comments:

Post a Comment