Tuesday 8 October 2013

The skirt project

Finally my clothes making class started a few weeks ago. The fact it’s on a Friday night from 18:00-21:00 is a bit of a nuisance. As I usually am so knackered that I just want to go home... But hey, I do want a skirt at the end of this, so I am persevering!

In lesson 1 we were told that we wouldn’t start sewing until week 5. Which was rather disappointing. Quite quickly it became obvious that the class is moving very slowly indeed. I partly blame the teacher who doesn’t seem all that familiar with the pattern we are working on. Several of us had to point out that we needed to make sure that we can pull the skirt over our hips, as there is no zipper included. Which means the waist measurements need to take account of our hip measurements. Calculating the final garment measurement also turned into a bit of a headache – adding the seam allowance: yes or no? At the end we all seemed very confused.

On the up side, the other girls in the class (we are making a skirt, so it’s not surprising that there are no guys attending at all) are all really nice and so at least we are having a good laugh, while sometimes pointlessly sitting around. Last Friday, we finally started on the fabric and I of course went for pink! (well, also, because it was cheap... John Lewis has a nice selection of fabrics, but all at hefty prices - at least for a beginner project!) I still have serious doubts that I will be able to wear the final product...

I am already signed up for the spring class, which will be about making a top. And I managed to secure a place on the Monday evening class. Which will hopefully be a tiny bit better than having a class on a Friday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment