Wednesday 16 October 2013

Fortunately, the milk

One of my friends is a massive Neil Gaiman fan.
To be honest, while I had seen Coraline and Stardust, I had never heard of him... But I agreed to accompany her to his reading of his latest children book 'Fortunately, the milk' anyway. And it was great! Maybe I should read more children books - I loved the random and bonkers story. And it made me want to go home and write my own crazy story.

The event took place at Central Hall Westminster - opposite Westminster Abbey and an amazing and beautiful venue. Neil had invited a number of guests for the warm up as well as to assist with reading his story and his wife made a special appearance and performed a song on her ukulele at the end. I have to admit that I didn't know any of the special guests... (turns out that one of them was Lenny Henry - who I do know! But he looked so slim and young from our faraway seats on the balcony!) And I could have done without the warm up intro, but I did really enjoy the rest of it. And it was very sweet when he told how his wife had surprised him by returning early from the USA. Isn't love lovely?

Cover, signed copy and special bookmark
The Great Hall at Central Hall Westminster

No comments:

Post a Comment