Friday 3 February 2017

have faith!

When going through old unpublished blog posts, I came across one where I was monitoring my week and an appointment with Linda, a holistic healer.

It was a list of situations that had frustrated me, and my reactions to them, trying not to let my anger get the better of me. Linda's feedback to me was that I had had a tough week and that I should be proud of myself for the way I had dealt with things. She thought I had great insight and that I should trust my abilities.

Not sure whether it's ironic or sad, that about three years later, I had a similar thing said to me by one of the assistants at the NLP course. That I am a quick learner, that I am good at calibrating my 'clients', that I quickly implement new learnings and that I really should trust my abilities more.

The whole subject of me and accepting (positive) feedback is of course a recurring theme. And I am aware that I tend to be 'intrinsic' (thanks to a personality test as well as coaching feedback I've had), meaning that I need to feel that I am doing well, that I did a good job. While positive feedback is nice and I do also crave it at times, when it doesn't fit with my own perception of myself/a situation, it becomes worthless.

I do believe that this is works well for me in some ways. As I shouldn't depend on what other people think of me. The downside - at the moment - is of course, that I am very often robbing myself of the pleasure to simply enjoy a compliment. And that secondly, I too often take negative feedback too seriously. Instead of applying the same filter as I do for positive feedback. Cause just the same way I don't believe the good stuff, the logic should be not to believe the bad stuff either. Or at least not before exploring how it fits in with my own judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment