Sunday 12 February 2017

just a little prick

I donated blood for the first time, while I was still at school. And managed a grand total of three (in numbers: lousy 3) donations in about 18 years. What a disgrace...

In recent years, I was determined to make it a regular habit.
And - as you may have guessed - I failed. Partly because of my tattoos. After each one, I wasn't allowed to donate blood for five months.

Anyway, I finally went for the fourth time on Monday! Quite a bit of waiting time and having to answer all sorts of questions. Why am I being asked whether I've been anywhere outside of Germany? The lady took a note that I had been to England and Austria. What for exactly? (yes, I should have asked her really, but I didn't want to prolong the time spent there any further)

Then there is also the notes with regard to self-elimination. For example if you spent time in prison. Or are homosexual. Or are promiscuous.
What exactly does the latter mean? How many partners in what amount of time makes somebody promiscuous? And how does that matter if you use protection?
While I understand that they want to try to reduce the risk that somebody who has an illness that is not yet detectable donates blood. But do they not think that people who know that they are at risk, will not donate? And what does it say about what goes in our prisons?

No comments:

Post a Comment