Thursday 8 March 2012

Before and after

I have a long-standing love-hate affair with hairdressers. I love getting a new hair style, as it instantly changes your whole look. I love getting my hair washed (yes, I am lazy!) and I love getting my hair touched and tousled (Does the latter count as some kind of fetish?).

But I hate not knowing what I want and there is always a little bit of fear mixed in. Fear that the hairdresser won't be able to tell me what I want either! On many occasions have I sat in the chair with my hands clenched into tight fists out of sheer nervousness...

After 4 months it was the time of year again. So far I haven't found "my" hairdresser. I usually leave happy, to wake up disappointed. Not quite sure why... As a consequence, I show no loyalty whatsoever. Tonight, I made my way to Balham. I used to live there quite a while ago and had been to the salon for beauty treatments back then. So I thought I'll give it a try.

Things hadn't started that well, as the guy who was meant to cut my hair had just had a baby. Well, his wife did and she did so earlier than expected. This meant that he was now on paternity leave, and they had to allocate me somebody else and also had to slightly move my appointment backwards.

But no more glitches after that: even though I had such a late evening appointment, Nicola took his time to listen to my ramblings of not knowing what I wanted and came up with several suggestions. Contrary to many other salons, the hairdresser - and not some junior helper - washed my hair - and I can honestly say that it was one of the best if not THE best hairwash I have ever had. This by itself made it all worthwhile (for me)!

Whether or not I am happy with the result remains to be seen. I will have to (literally and figuratively) sleep on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment