Sunday 11 August 2013

Pimps, whores, drugs and Tchaikovsky

For seven performances only, Fredrik Rydman's take on the Swan Lake can be seen at the Coliseum in London. In Swan Lake Reloaded the sorcerer Rothbart is a pimp and the swans are his drug-addicted prostitutes. Tchaikovsky's original music is mixed with Swedish pop and there are isn't much traditional ballet to be seen. Without an interval, it goes on for 1.5 hours and it's great!

It has been very successful in Sweden and Germany and seemed to have been popular in London, too. The stage design is quirky, and they have some cool effects for example at the start when smoke is coming from Rothbart's hands (check out the youtube video). I found it very entertaining and enjoyable, while at the same time, some of it seems a bit random.

I got my tickets through Time Out, discounted from £50 to £25 - and I don't think I would pay £50 to see it. If you expect more classical ballet elements, you'd certainly be disappointed. And I also think there are other better modern dance shows about, but overall, still a good day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment