Saturday 31 August 2013

The week in football

Let's start with the good news:
After losing their first two games of the season, Eintracht Frankfurt won their third game against Eintracht Braunschweig (away; 0:2). Next up, they are playing Dortmund. And yes, I have a little hope for a win...
Secondly, they made it through the play-offs and are through to the group stage of the Europa League (I have no idea how this process works - until yesterday I thought, they'd already made it by finishing in 6th place the last season ...). I had so hoped they would play in a group with Tottenham, as I would have loved to see that game! But that didn't happen; here's their group:
Group F: FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA), APOEL FC (CYP), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR)

Now the OK news:
On Monday, Manchester United played Chelsea in the Premier League. I went to see the game at the Minories - a pub near Tower Gateway. A goalless game and a draw is still better than losing...

And now to the bad news:
Bayern Munich vs Chelsea in the Supercup, where the winner of the Champions League (Bayern) play the winner of the Europa League (Chelsea). While a lot of the German national team players, play for Bayern, I simply cannot support the club. And especially not when playing Chelsea!
Chelsea went into the lead twice and lucky Bayern managed to equalize with just 10 more seconds to go in the extra time, which took the game to penalties. Where Lukaku missed the decisive and final penalty...

Moving swiftly to the better part of last night - the food! On Monday I tried the pear cidre and yesterday I went for the strawberry and lime cider - very sweet and thus perfect for my taste! The fish 'n chips comes with two fish and a spoonful of peas. But who wants veggies anyway? The salad that came with the fish cakes was really nice - I don't think I've ever had pomegranate in a salad and I liked the fruitiness. As for dessert: I was really full already but with a 2 for 1 offer on the dessert, we couldn't resist. Against my advice (we had the chocolate sundae on Monday and were able to finish about 1/4 of it...), my friend got the sundae anyway. And capitulated rather quickly, too. It's just too much chocolate! The apple crumble on the other hand was very nice, with spicy apples. Unfortunately, the waitress managed to knock over the (by then melted) ice cream pot and I had sticky ice cream running into my handbag, which was underneath the table... And also ruined my copy of the Evening Standard Magazine, which I really wanted to keep for the restaurant reviews and of course Lampard's portrait... 


before the ice cream accident

No comments:

Post a Comment