Sunday 4 August 2013

York (not New York)

After my 'glamorous' trips to Nice and Paris, people seem to immediately think of New York, when I mention my other city trip to York. It feels a bit like an anti-climax... BUT, I would totally recommend exploring this beautiful little town up north.

Equipped with a VIP pass, I tried to cram in as many tourist attractions as possible. And York has many to offer!

York Boat
I went on an hour long boat tour. You can't go wrong with a boat tour in my opinion and the guide was providing lots of fun facts about the city. All of which I have of course forgotten...

York Open Bus Tour
You can hop on and off at the various stops and can listen to an audio guide in different languages. Perfect for people lazy as me (and I also didn't pack the right shoes for walking! Turns out they are perfect for walking in carpeted exhibition halls for work, but not to comfy on the street).

York's Chocolate Story
An interesting guided tour, including chocolate tasting, making and decorating your own chocolate lollipop, a praline making demonstration. Some of it is more targeted at kids, but I still found it really fun.
Did you know that in Japan more than 200 different KitKat flavors have been launched, a lot of them savoury (e.g. soy sauce, wasabi and chili)? And before Terry introduced Terry's Orange Chocolate, they had launched Terry's Apple Chocolate. It's a pity they don't produce them anymore, I would love to taste it!

Clifford's Tower 
Once you've climbed the steep steps up to the tower, you get great views over the city. On the other hand, there isn't all that much to see, apart from the Minster - which you can see from anywhere anyway.

Fairfax House
A beautiful Georgian townhouse. Volunteers are on hand in each room to tell you more about the history.

Museum Gardens 
Beautiful on a sunny day. You can find the ruins of St Mary's Abbey here. 

York Minster
Recommended by a local, I attended the Evensong (at 17:15 during the week). Also means you get into the Minster for free. Certainly an impressive church!

National Railway Museum
Free entrance. Lots of trains on display and a different venue for dinners and receptions. I also just missed out on Prince Charles who had popped by earlier in the day...

Inside of Clifford's Tower
Outside of Clifford's Tower
York Minster
Queen Victoria was certainly traveling in style back in the days
St Mary's Abbey in the Museum Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment