Tuesday 26 July 2016

challenge accepted

The kids from the kids' home have finished school. The girl has passed her exam, the boy hasn't said either way and I very much hope he has, too. This means that I am no longer volunteering there anymore and with all the time on my hands, I felt it would be good to find another volunteering role, at least for the summer.

And then it all went very quickly and I had my first German lesson with a refugee family from Nigeria last Friday. First time I was teaching German. And a good opportunity to practice patience for sure. 2.5 hours were certainly too long. For me at least. 

Main learning so far:
- I realized that I do have a gift for learning languages, which I generally take for granted and this was a reminder how other people find it much, much harder
- detaching myself from the outcome. If they learn nothing at all, it doesn't make me a bad teacher
- questioning my need to right and moreover acknowledged for being right all the time
- being more aware of how to handle somebody's pride with more diplomacy
tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment