Monday 11 July 2016

London 06-07/2016 - Day 5: the long way down

When I saw the slide advertised, I was so excited that it would open in time for my trip to London. Once I had booked tickets, I wasn't so sure anymore, I even wanted to go on it... The thought of the height as well as being in the enclosed slide gave me sweaty hands just thinking about it. I wonder whether that is how I managed most of the more daring parts of my life: I make a decision and go for it, even when I start having doubts about it, knowing that fear is never a good advisor.

Anyhow, a few facts:
  • the ArcelorMittal Orbit is one of the legacies from the 2012 London Olympics and was designed by sculptor Sir Anish Kapoor and engineer Cecil Balmond
  • it is Britain's largest sculpture
  • it hosts a viewing platform with up to 20 mile views over the city
  • the slide was created by the Belgian artist Carsten Hoeller, who also created the slides at Tate Modern and the Soutbank centre
  • the slide is the world's highest and at 178m the world's longest tunnel slide
What can I say: a little scary but also fun! Go and try it out! It's actually wilder than I expected (which wasn't great for my back) and even when going down, the thought crossed my mind of why I was doing it. But then it's all about new experiences, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment