Monday 3 February 2014

Mood enhancing sewing

I swapped my Friday for the Monday evening class, as it was quite hard work to motivate myself to attend the class after work on a Friday. Or so I thought. Turns out that the day of the week doesn't make a difference. Last Monday, I was on my way to Waterloo and I was seriously tempted to just go home. I just felt like sleeping (and no, it wasn't even late. and yes, I'm quite sad like that).

But every time, I am so glad to not have listened to my inner devil voice. All sewing classes have been so much fun so far. Three hours later I had not only cut out all the pattern pieces for the top, I was also feeling happier and relaxed. Being mindful and in the moment comes naturally (to me) when learning a new skill. Unless you are naturally gifted, you've got to focus on the task at hand. Everything else just exits my mind.

My flat is unfortunately not the ideal place for sewing. I could do with a bigger table for cutting the fabric. Cutting on the floor/on carpet is probably not the best idea. And my coffee table is a) too low and b) too messy.

My weekend's work: another cushion. Which I also used to try the buttonhole function of my machine. And it worked a treat! I also tried to make a hairband. Which didn't work out. Not sure whether I didn't measure very well, or whether my head is abnormally big. But I can't get it over my head...(the second attempt worked though AND I've made a start with a skirt, too! :-))

Proof that the sun was shining in London this weekend; ignore the chalk marks around the button and the fact that I used the pink thread I had here, rather than going out to buy a matching thread...


No comments:

Post a Comment