Sunday 16 February 2014

Practicing patience

I finished my second skirt this weekend. And I really need to get better at hemming....
Sewing is also providing me with plenty of opportunities for practicing patience: the rather thin stretch material isn't easy to sew with and when I attached the waistband to the skirt, I was sewing too close to the hem and especially as I'm not very good at sewing a straight line, I ended up with some holes, where the three layers (two of the waistband and one of the skirt) didn't quite align. To be honest, my first instinct was: ah, whatever... I'll just wear a top with it that goes over the waistband and nobody will see. But then I decided to do it properly as there was of course the risk of the waistband tearing off altogether.

So, I unpicked the seam (which by the way takes forever - so much longer than putting it in!) and redid the whole waistband. I did not however unpick the hem which is anything but straight. Which is why I am not posting a photo of the skirt on a hanger - as it's very obvious how the hem is longer at the back...
And don't you think, that the red satin bias binding would have looked great on it?

difficult to take a photo of myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment