Thursday 8 May 2014

And more sightseeing

I like going to art museums. I'm in no way an expert nor an artist. Nevertheless seeing all this beautiful painting and sculptures also makes me want to be creative, too. Which is quickly forgotten though... I haven't gotten my oil paints out in ages.

The National Museum for Art in Copenhagen is an interesting building, too. The 'old' bit has been extended by a modern bit. Which reminded me of the Ulster Museum in Belfast. Entry is free (always a bonus!) except for special exhibitions. We focused on the 20th century art.

One of the modern art pieces consisted of small photos and facts about the law and homosexuality. I'm probably naive, but I hadn't realized that the age of consent very often differs for homosexual sex and lesbian and heterosexual sex. The stats about homosexuals having experienced physical assault is also depressingly high. I guess I'd like to think of our society as open and liberal and tolerant. But if you are part of a minority, it's still a different story.

The other eerie installation was a hospital room, complete with four beds, three of which complete with a dummy inside. The installation is in a separate room and on entering you feel compelled to be quiet. It's strange how the hospital atmosphere is re-created so well. Not a pleasant atmosphere...
But there were also some very pretty things to enjoy:

Isn't this just beautiful? Nice motive for a tattoo, too, I think.
Statens Museum for Kunst
Marmorkirken - a short walk from the Royal Palaces
Botanical Garden - just across the road from the art museum

No comments:

Post a Comment