Saturday 17 May 2014

Ruby Ruby Ruby

I'm not actually very familiar with Ruby Wax. But I do like comedy. So when Time Out offered reduced tickets (£10.50) for 'Encounters: Performers on Performance - Ruby Wax' at the Lyric Theatre (where 'Thriller' is usually shown), I thought I'd check it out.

Ruby was interviewed by Fiona Lindsay. Unfortunately, I thought the whole evening was rather disappointing. Fiona was right up Ruby's a**. Nothing wrong with admiring somebody, but the way she was basically kissing her bum was not particularly appealing, I felt. She got her props messed up (a script she wanted Ruby to recite, which didn't seem to actually have the scene in question on it) and her questions didn't seem all that interesting to me.

I literally laughed once. The topic - Ruby's personal life - wasn't funny and the conversation meandered between attempts to discuss her depression and her degree in mindfullness and Ruby making depreciating comments about her Austrian parents (including imitating her mother's accent).

The evening ended with questions from the audience. Half of which weren't questions but individuals who seemed to just want to present themselves to the world...


No comments:

Post a Comment