Saturday 7 December 2013

Capital of Culture 2017

The announcement that Hull was named Capital of Culture 2017 came as a surprise to a lot of people - myself included. The city once (probably more than once actually) voted worst place to live in the UK is determined to show the world (or the Brits at least), that its reputation is far worse than it deserves.

I studied and lived in the city for three years. It's a very good question, too, on how I ended up in that place. Anyhow, I might share that story another time. By the third year, I was very much ready to leave!

Having said that, I had a lot of great times, too and it definitely was not a bad place for students. With two universities (at the time), it had a huge student population, rent was cheap and there were a lot of bars/pubs/clubs. If I am still in the UK in 2017, I might take a trip down memory lane to see whether being made Capital of Culture really does come with substantial investments in the city.

I have to say that when I went back for a visit in 2008 - 5 years after I graduated and left - the city had changed quite a bit. With new shopping centres, new shops, bars and restaurants everywhere.

My university's library - which is now part of the University of Hull
beloved Planet Coffee - the only cafe when I first arrived and where I spent many hours
poster is from 2008 and the Hull Truck Theatre already existed when I lived there
and was one of the few cultural venues

No comments:

Post a Comment