Saturday 12 April 2014

Nice. Just nice.

A new colleague joined us last week. I know, it's early days, but so far he has been so very nice! I'm smitten (and no: not in that way!). He hasn't really done anything extraordinary other than being polite, friendly, and very helpful. And I've been thinking to myself that it really doesn't cost anything to be just like that. And somehow, it sometimes seems to be the hardest thing.

I also had another interesting encounter last week. I like to be right. And I like everyone to know that I'm right. I found myself in the unusual situation where I decided that insisting on being right (even though I definitely WAS right) wouldn't get me anywhere and it just wasn't important. I let it go and resisted the urge to explain myself and the situation at length and in detail. A tiny bit of my brain is telling me that this is against my principles of speaking up. And it does feel like injustice. But the rest of my brain is telling me not to listen (to that voice).

Other individuals have meanwhile proven once again that nice, common courtesy as well as common sense are just not part of who they are or even want to be. Quite sad really. Mainly for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment