Saturday 5 April 2014

The devil in drag

I saw an advert for The Winter's Tale coming to the Royal Opera House and went to check out tickets. To be honest, I hadn't realized how expensive tickets are! While on their website, I also saw that they are showing Faust. And I was able to get one of the last tickets for just a tenner for the first showing on Friday night. It did say that views would be restricted. And they were: I wasn't able to see about a quarter of the stage, but nothing much happened there, so I really didn't mind. The opera is in French and I could read the English surtitles without a problem. There were also no people in front of us, and while we had to lean on the balustrade to see the stage, that really wasn't a problem. So, I can definitely recommend the cheap seats in the Amphitheatre!

With 3h30, it went on for quite a while, but I really enjoyed it (and I tend to get bored or at least fidgety quickly...). I enjoyed the singing, the drama, the dancing and there were even some witty bits (including the devil in a dress). And it was another reminder how much cool stuff there is to experience in London - and it doesn't have to be expensive! It also made me want to read Goethe's Faust again.

and some terrible photos that don't do the opera any justice...

No comments:

Post a Comment