Monday 7 April 2014

When no change is good change

I can't remember whether I mentioned this, but in January my landlord contacted me to discuss an increase in rent. I've been very lucky that since I moved in more than 4 years ago, he hasn't increased the rent. In fact, after the first contract run out after 12 months, we/I never officially signed another contract.

He explained that their costs had increased (service charge for the building and what have you) but that of course they didn't want to lose me as I really was a very good tenant. He asked me to have a think and I said that he really needed to tell me what he had in mind, as my budget was quite tight as it is and that I might consider moving instead.

And then nothing happened. Until I got another text on Saturday evening - asking me to discuss the rent over dinner (his treat). I'm always up for dinner but I really wasn't keen to spoil a nice dinner with the dreaded talk about rent. So, I gave him a call to ask him what he had in mind. Oh, I shouldn't worry, they were thinking about just £100 (!) a month. Not sure what he thinks I earn a month - but that is quite a lot of money for me! Moreover, after he had contacted me in January, I did a quick google search and it seemed that places around here actually haven't gone up in rent very much. For a bit more, I could move into a 2 bed flat or alternatively move into a studio in central London and save ~£145 on public transport! Which is basically what I told him.*

He said he'd discuss it with his wife but that I really shouldn't worry. And then a couple of minutes later I got another text saying that they wouldn't increase the rent for now.
What a relief!

* I suppose one might argue that he should really DECREASE my rent... 

No comments:

Post a Comment