Sunday 24 May 2015

Fear-flashback

I'm very happy that I gotten over my fear of flying. Just about five years ago, even booking a flight filled me with terror, let alone getting on a plane. I still remember distinctly a flight to Singapore by myself when I didn't sleep at all and every time there was just a tiny bit of turbulence, I convinced myself I was about to die. It was pretty terrible.

I am still not keen on flying, but feel OK most of the time.

On the return flight from HK, I had a bit of a shaky moment though. About half way through the flight, the plane sank into one these air pockets. Nothing dramatic. But I somehow felt as if the engine noises decreased and the plane seemed to start to descent - much too early of course at that stage. In addition, the guy next to me had left his seat and didn't return in ages which of course made him a terrorist suspect in my crazy mind. I started to panic slightly, thinking about germanwings, and just kept thinking: I don't want to die...

Interestingly, just a few days before that, I'd had a conversation about what life is really all about. And how I sometimes feel, that I am simply 'filling' my life with activities that are meaningless in itself. Fun and enjoyable activities for sure but that I could also do without.

Hm, not sure what I am trying to say. Other than that being in that moment with those thoughts and emotions was not a pleasant experience. And a reminder that I do enjoy my life even if I don't understand what the point really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment