Saturday 23 May 2015

the travel paradox

I love travelling.
I hate travelling.

I love seeing new places. I love meeting friends and making new friends. I love eating new food.
I hate waiting around at airports. I hate feeling jet-lagged. I hate packing suitcases. I hate unpacking suitcases. And I am still not keen on flying.

Having said that, I am also very grateful for being able to travel and for work giving me the opportunity to travel (basically for free).

On the flight from London to Hong Kong, I hardly slept. But managed to watch three movies instead:
Wild with Reese Witherspoon. Which I enjoyed and cried over (of course!). Nevertheless, I didn't think it was quite as great as some of the reviews I had seen.
Cake with Jennifer Aniston. Which was a real disappointment. I LOVE Jennifer. But the film did nothing for me. I did like her 'evil' character. But of course she wasn't really evil but heartbroken and hurt etc. Is it wrong that I want mean people to be portrayed as simply being mean and manipulative?
Horrible Bosses 2. Another Jennifer Aniston movie. Not quite as good as the first one but funny enough. I thought Chris Pine's character was rather annoying though.

The woman next to me spilled her wine on me. So, I had a stain on my skirt, a wet bum and stank of wine. Also didn't help with trying to sleep. Plus being super annoyed with her, of course. She had already toppled over the empty wine bottle TWICE. It really was just a matter of time to knock over the glass of wine. Not least given her state of inebriation.... She had also introduced herself with a little speech of: don't wake me up, don't want food but water, just climb over me to get to the loo. I won't talk to you not cause I'm ignorant. Brilliant. Glad she 'shared' her wine with me...

On the flight back, I was asked whether I'd be happy to book onto the later flight cause the flight was full. Despite a misunderstanding at first, I realized that the flight would have left HK only 45 minutes later and A thought I should have asked for compensation. But quite frankly, I just wanted to get home, had a taxi booked at the other end and couldn't have cared less about any financial compensation.

At least I was able to sleep a little on the flight back. I started watching Birdman but was too tired to enjoy or finish it. Then watched This is when I leave you with Jason Bateman and Tina Fey and Adam Driver. An easy watch but also way too predictable.

The taxi drive back home led across the city and as it was so early, there was hardly any traffic. Until we got to Tower Bridge where all roads leading east seemed closed... The taxi driver then charged me £60 instead of £50. He asked me to call the taxi office, but I just wanted to get into bed. And I suppose, he has to pay for parking at the airport (as opposed to drop off on the way there). So, for once, I wasn't in the mood to argue! (I know, it doesn't happen a lot ;-))

*travel rant over*

and some more plane photos

No comments:

Post a Comment