Sunday 10 May 2015

improv

With still a month to spare, I finished my competition piece for Simplicity's Star Sewist. I won't comment on my chances... but I really enjoyed it! Even if it primarily turned into an exercise of improvisation.


I had planned to do top A, with the sleeves. But at home realized that I hadn't bought enough fabric. Secondly, I didn't have any navy thread, so I decided to use red thread and incorporate the flash of colour as a feature. Thirdly, the only navy zip I had, was a bit too long - but better too long then too short!

As per usual, I had to make the too tighter at the top. When I sew the zip in by hand, I think I didn't take enough off the seam allowance, which it rather baggy at the back. I therefore decided to insert a couple of darts in the back. Unfortunately, despite cutting a size 12, it was still too tight around my hips... So, my final alteration was to have vents at both sides.

I am most of proud of the bias binding I used for the armholes. I had only ever tried to use bias binding once and it went horribly wrong. I had therefore always avoided using bias binding to the extent that I would rather line a dress, then make another attempt of using bias binding for armholes.
And what can I say: it worked perfectly! :-)

So, all in all, a great learning experience and thanks to a cute Russian Doll pattern, a cute top. Perfect for the office as well as for leisure. Bring on the summer!

work in progress
and the finished work

2 comments:

  1. Loving the improv and sewing on the fly. I definitely find that vintage patterns have a ridiculous amount of ease in the centre back. It's really annoying. And if it makes you feel any better the last top I sewed was too tight around the hips so I shortened it.

    P.s. the fabric is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :-) I'll definitely sew this again with the star-y fabric I bought and will try to address the baggy back and tightness on the hips next time round!

    ReplyDelete