Saturday 23 May 2015

Five years in the making

We generally plan our events at least a year in advance. This one took five years to put together. And now it's all over. Yes, my usual post-event-blues hit me! Making it even more poignant this time, of course, as it was my last event with my current job.

Except for battling with jet lag (on the second day of the three day meeting, I was properly broken... Thank God for an understanding boss who let me sleep in the afternoon! And no, I would never do that during an event that I run myself, but on this occasion, my only task was to sit at the exhibition stand, so I feel that's ok) and some minor frustrations with the PCO we had hired, everything went smoothly. Which always means, it doesn't really feel like work.  I seem to easily forgot about all the work that went into pulling this together, including all the early telecalls (7am)...

For a number of reasons - mainly financial - we held the meeting at the University, which isn't in central HK. Which helped keep people at the venue. Together with heavy rain most of the time... And both also helped me, not to spend too much money on shopping :-)

Most of all, it was a lovely opportunity to meet up with my Aussie friends, members and meet new people. And with most people travelling quite a lot for work, I have high hopes to see at least some of them again. Even if not as frequent as I would like to.

And maybe, I should see this as another reminder that I can make friends wherever life will take me. The closer my moving date comes, the more I am worried about sitting in my new place all alone and lonely...

Not quite the Suite we had last time, but an upgrade nevertheless and a very comfy king size bed
my room at Le Meridien Cyberport
Different countries, different customs
fish fingers, samosas and dumplings during the mid-morning coffee break
super fresh and delicious sushi at Umami at the Cyberport hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment