Sunday 3 November 2013

F*ck the phonetic alphabet

Module 5 of the TEFL course was all about vocabulary. Including the damn international phonetic alphabet. I remember that I couldn't make much sense of it at school. I tend to be able to decipher it, in order to work out how to pronounce a word. But the other way round - writing a word in phonetics - no chance! Why on earth would you invent a whole new alphabet? Mostly weird symbols, too?!

There was a lot of cursing while trying to complete the module. With all previous modules, I kept re-taking the tests in order to achieve 100% pass marks. I didn't bother with this one. I was just glad when I'd gotten through...

Also finished module 6 on reading and writing. Only four more modules to go and the certificate will be mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment