Monday 4 November 2013

The happiness diary

A common advice in self-help books (at least, I've read this loads) is to make a point of writing down at least one positive thing that happened to you at the end of the day. Quite often we overlook the good things in life, and focus entirely on all that goes wrong. Taking a moment to reflect on the day, most people will probably be able to find something good.

I'm known to be quite the pessimist (well, I refer to myself as a realist!) but when I look back at the last few months, I don't even have to think very hard about at least (!) one great thing happening to me every single day. I am very grateful.

That's not to say that I still indulge in some serious moaning on a regular (also daily) basis. But I'd like to think that I have a much more productive way of dealing with the less pleasant things in life. I am finding it amazing on how much I can influence with simply changing my mindset.

I suppose the seed was sown more than a year ago when I started the Buddhist meditation classes: why bother dwelling on bad things? That's never going to solve anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment