Thursday 28 November 2013

The School of Life

Not metaphorically but literally. I can't remember how/where I came across this - I think it must have been in Time Out or The Stylist - but I thought that most of the courses offered by The School of Life sounded very interesting. The school is located in Bloomsbury close to Russell Square and Euston stattion.

According to their website: "The School of Life is devoted to developing emotional intelligence through the help of culture. We address such issues as how to find fulfilling work, how to master the art of relationships, how to understand one's past, how to achieve calm and how better to understand and, where necessary change, the world."

The class I attended this week was on 'How to stay calm'. An obvious choice for me. I get agitated way too often and way too easily and I was looking forward to learn new techniques on how to address this.

The class started with drinks and nibbles and a chance to get chatting to other attendees and discuss questions like: Is there something like 'too calm'? (clearly not, in my view) We then go downstairs to the 'classroom'. There are about 25 people - more women than men and ranging from early twenties to early fifties. Gaylene Gould is giving the class. In the course of the evening, she introduces views from a number of philosophers and we have a number of discussions in pairs or small groups.


As a taster session, it was interesting and I will look up the books she mentioned. I also enjoyed exchanging ideas with the other attendees but overall, I was a bit disappointed. I of course know that there is no quick fix, but I expected more 'tools' that I could use in daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment