Tuesday 19 November 2013

Kindness is magic*

What a week it had been (last week). Lots of stuff happening and most of it exciting, but some of it tragic and others sad. I think, it must have been the stress that had been piling up, but on Friday afternoon, on my way to the airport, I just felt this inexplicable urge to have a good cry. It just felt as if I needed an outlet for a massive pile of tension.

Arriving at the airport, I went for a coffee. Now, I should probably mention that I am a bit of a klutz when it comes to carrying a tray. This is (the only!!) reason that I NEVER offer to get drinks for my colleagues. I just wouldn't be able to carry them up the stairs, through 3 (!) sets of doors!

Anyhow, I ordered a coffee and a bottle of juice and braced myself for carrying the tray over to an empty table. I was rather pleased with myself that I managed without spilling anything. Just when I was about to put the tray down, I bent down and forward, and my (heavy) back-bag slid down my shoulder and caused the coffee to spill everywhere... Argh.... Fortunately, I didn't get any of the hot coffee on myself.

I sat down, and just stared at the mess in exasperation. The lovely waitress had heard the noise and when she saw what had happened, she came over with a mop - and a smile. I apologized profusely - I felt so bad, that she had to clean up the mess I had made! But not only was she really nice, she also brought me another coffee immediately - without me even saying a thing. I was so grateful. It might be a small gesture for some, but it meant a lot to me.


* Ricky Gervais' Derek is now available on DVD. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment