Monday 3 March 2014

Greenwich - always worth a visit

Greenwich is one of my favourite places in London. I'm always surprised that there are still Londoners (or frequent London visitors) who've never been.

We arrived early enough to avoid the crowds descending on Greenwich market, which is  just a 2 minute walk from Cutty Sark station. As a side note: it is one hell of a walk up the stairs to get out of the station as the escalators are being done up at the moment... There are so many pretty things to buy that I usually end up buying nothing. I think next time, I need to set myself a target of what I'd like to get and how much I am happy to spend on it.

After the market we went for lunch at the Greenwich Tavern. Then through the park up to the Observatory - some of the exhibitions are free to enter. Back down the hill, we visited the Maritime Museum. And for the first time we went to the Painted Hall and the Chapel of the Old Royal Naval College. Last but not least we stopped at the Reddoor Cafe for a coffee and tea. Quirky place with great art on the walls, a Johnny Depp lookalike barista and a vinyl record player.

Views from the Observatory over the city

Maritime museum
the Painted Hall
the Chapel
the Cutty Sark
my pretty teacup at the Reddoor Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment